- Desalting the fish: 24 hours before - rinse the bacalao well then put to soak in plenty of water; refrigerate overnight, changing the water once.
- Skin the bacalao fillet and cut into 2.5cm /1” pieces.
- At the same time, in a sauce pan, warm the stock, saffron and oregano to just below simmering and hold at this temperature for a few minutes to release the flavours.
- In a deep pot over a medium-low heat cook the panceta well until lightly browned but not crispy; remove from the pot.
- Increase the heat a little, then add to the pot the olive oil, onion & potato and cook until onion softened (approx 10 minutes).
- Add stock mixture and sliced garlic, cooking until potatoes tender (approx 10 minutes).
- Add panceta, milk, bacalao, pimentón and black pepper, taste for salt at this stage and bring to a very gentle simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chives and serve.
Variation: For a delightfully rich version of our bacalao chowder replace 150ml of the milk with the same quantity of double cream.